Thursday, 19 August 2010

update August 2010

Just a little update to say progress on HERO: CF is still going well but I'm starting the level work from scratch. I've decided the old way of tiling layouts and all that was too tedious and time consuming so I've been writing code so that the game itself fixes up everything from the basic layout work, so it sorts out what depths the tile layers (cos I was always confusing myself and putting tiles onto the wrong layers and having to fix them up a lot) are meant to be based on their tilesheet id and also adds all the level shadows in by itself. This saves me a hell of a lot of boring work in the long run and also massively reduces the chance of missing tiles (I've often missed putting a shadow tile somewhere and not noticed it for ages, that's now impossible to do with the new system so that's nice). It also adds all the collision boxes in automatically too so that's another job I don't have to myself. All I have to do is the main tile layout and all the rest of the junk gets done by itself. Just a couple more bits to add then I can get back to doing the level layouts again and this time it will be much, much faster to get them done.

9 comments:

  1. This are great options for a 2D tile editor! I wish, the T2002 level editor had that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Good to hear the project is still alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an very old post, but how is HERO: CF going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every week I'm looking for HERO... and still last update from 2010 :-( Its something new?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the project is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carnivac, please, speak to us :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh. Oops. I actually totally forgot I even had this blog. Sorry people. I don't spend all that much time on a computer these days. Hero:CF is um...well...not dead as such as I have been pixelling new tiles for it recently but I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. I have many non-computer related activities using up my time these days now I don't have the health issues that caused me to be mostly housebound before so I'm enjoying catching up on life I suppose. But as I said I have been pixelling stuff for the project and while it might not be as big as originally intended I still think it's likely the game will come out in some form sometime. It won't be spectacular or anything but I hope people get some enjoyment out of it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy life man, and come back to this when you've had your fill ;)

    ReplyDelete